Thursday, August 16, 2007

Yummy rice and......feet???????

Ugh.........it is totally a cultural thing I am sure...but it is nonetheless very gross. Every time I go to my in-laws for lunch my mother-in-law makes a huge batch of rice in a pan that barely fits on the stove. It's massive. Once the rice is done, the pan is too hot to put on the shelf so it goes right down on the floor.
Anyway, today at lunch one of my sister-in-laws was loading up trays with the rice and setting it down on the FLOOR! And then the hungry kdis were running around right next to the RICE! All I could imagine was the junk from their shoes completely covering the rice...ugh! I was not planning on eating a bite of it but my helpful sister-in-law fixed my plate BEFORE I sat down to eat. Oh my gosh! And not finishing the ENTIRE plate in my husband's family is utterly taboo. So, I had to swallow every dust covered bite! Yum.........blech....

And no it's not the first time. Food is routinely assembled on the floor over at the in-laws. It just boggles my mind. And my husband's family is EXTREMELY clean...but the food thing is just weird. I guess they feel they have no other option besides the floor to serve food??

Now doesn't that make you SO hungry for rice?????????????????

3 comments:

3baid said...

Just make sure the kids stay out of the way and you'll be fine :]

Bojacob said...

Would be a bad day if someone forwarded this to your in-laws :(

Anyway, ever heard of pigs feet? Well, in our country, it's .. well, ok it's sand from the boots of kids feet.

Not as catchy, but just as yummy!

Anonymous said...

errrr

This is the part where I can just hear my mother say "wasn't that what sideboards were invented for...? What about dining tables..?"

LOL

I hear ya sis. Say bismillah and eat up :) Look at it this way - any additional umm..grains..to the food ought to boost your immune system ;)