Sunday, July 1, 2007

Friday Night Fire in my Building!

We went out this past Friday and did some shopping at Sharq Market. The kids were cranky and it was so hot out. So, we stopped to rent a couple movies and came home early. We were just drained. The volume on the TV was so loud. I kept thinking my home phone was ringing but my husband kept saying it was the movie. I finally got up to check and it was ringing but it stopped before I could answer it. I glanced at the clock and it was almost 11:30pm. I went to the kitchen to get water and I smelled smoke. I stuck my nose up against the seam of my front door and the scent was stronger. I yelled for my husband and he looked out the window and the street was full of people. Ugh! Our building was on fire and we had no idea. The phone rang again and it was my neighbors from the 4th floor. They told me to get out of the building because a 5th floor apartment was on fire. We raced out as fast as we could. The fire brigade came like 2 minutes later. I was impressed.

We were stuck outside for a full 30 minutes. Luckily, there were no injuries or death. And now I am going to buy another smoke detector for the hallway beside the front door. Ugh!

Oh and the cause of the fire was an overheated plug for an air conditioner.




No comments: