Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Viva Las Vegas!

Vist Vegas's MGM Grand through this webcam:

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/nevada/lasvegas/index.php?cam=mgm

I have visted Vegas twice. The first time was the Summer 0f 1990 which was my last year in high school. My grandmother had gotten some kind of special rate at a hotel there called "VegasWorld" and basically forced me to go. It was fun. The only downside is that my grandmother forgot about the time difference as we drove across the country (we started out in West Virginia and drove clear across to the West Coast). So, she was waking me up every morning at 5am because her watch (set on East Coast time) said it was 7 am! The pitch black mornings should have been a clue! Lol! We both finally caught on a couple days into the trip. It took us a full week of driving 700 miles a day to reach Vegas. We stayed for a week. My grandmother lost everything but the shirt on her back....lol...and then it took us another week to get home.

The 2nd time I visited was in 2002. We actually were driving to see my father in Seattle, WA. I have no idea how my husband and I did it, but we managed a fully drive from the US east coast to west coast and back again! And this was right after 9/11 and we were terrified of hate crimes since we are Muslim. But thankfully no one bothered us. And we met at least 6 Muslims on our journey across the US.

Ok back to Vegas....I actually was the one who decided to swing through Vegas which was not an easy feat with 2 small kids. Something my grandmother said to me on our trip has always stuck in my brain. She said that I would never be able to come on another Vegas road trip due to the time, planning and money it would cost. She said it in anger for whatever reason. So, I basically seized the opportunity to prove her wrong. And I did.




1 comment:

nQ said...

shows