Thursday, May 3, 2007

The insanity has already started! I woke up this morning and there is no water! No water to use the bathroom, wash my face, or make a cup of tea! This country really frustrates me. Kuwait is the richest country in the World but they cannot cope with supplying water to the populous? Ugh!
My lack of water this morning has made me remember a scene I saw last Friday as we were driving through Salwa. We passed a Kuwaiti home with a big patch of dead, again dead, flowers. They were shriveled up and brown. There was no saving them. Yet there was a housemaid standing over them watering them with a hose. The water was just gushing out and being soaked up by the Earth. I really think the water conservation campaign should extend to the housemaids as well. I mean, they could care less about conserving water. Their only concern is getting paid thier meager salary on time. Rightly so! But the wanton waste of water has to stop. We live in the freakin' desert. I would think that people would understand how precious water is to us especially! Ugh!

2 comments:

Carly said...

Hey. I wonder about all of those conservation issues with KW. I heard the the US embassy was really pushing for recycling in Kuwait to beef up. You know, it's so part of Islam, to take care of mother earth. I don't understand why its not taught to kids in KW like we do in the states. Maybe something for us to work on??

Sumi-Kuwait said...

Hi Carly,

Yeah it is totally part of Islam to take care of Earth. But most Muslims these days could care less. Recycling is non-existent in this country. I have never seen a recycling bin anywhere.
However, some people recycle so they can eat. At any given time or in any city in Kuwait you can see men balancing dozens of flattened cardboard boxes on their heads and carrying bags of cans. I wrote an article about this for Friday Times. They only get a few fils for about 3 kilos of cardboard. That's a lot of work for very little money!