Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Smoke Detectors...


The local paper reported the death of 3 children the other day due to a fire in their home. The suspected cause was that an A/C left on overnight caught on fire. Who doesn't leave their A/C on all night in this boiling weather? The cause of death was not due to the flames but rather due to smoke inhalation. So, I can assume the whole family was asleep and inhaled the toxic plumes.
In the US, all rental properties are legally required to have smoke detectors. Not so in 'slum lord' Kuwait.
Regardless, everyone reading this blog should go out and buy a smoke detector today! I doubt they are expensive. But my problem is that I have no idea where to buy one. I am guessing that ACE Hardware (Ace in the place for the handy hardware man!! -couldn't resist adding the jingle!) in Shuwaikh might have one. I am literally glued to my computer until I finsh my articles for the publishing co. in Bahrain. So, I hope to get a smoke detector this Friday.
Last Summer, a horrific thing happened in my building. My son and I were watching a funny kids movie and were laughing so loud that I barely heard someone banging on my door. My daughter was actually in the bathtub and was stark naked (which is ok given she was only 5 at the time!). Anyway, I opened the door to find 2 teenage girls (my neighbors from the 4th floor) screaming at me to get out of the building because an apartment on the 5th floor was on fire. Their A/C had caught on fire. Gosh, I still recall the panic like it happened yesterday. I somehow managed to grab clothes for my daughter and scream for my son to grab my baby (who was only 1 year old at the time). The minute he grabbed her the electric went out. I could not see to find my shoes. I begged the neighbor's son to help me...I remember just saying....please help me. He grabbed my key from my hand, locked the door and we all raced down the pitch black stairwell. The whole street was covered with fire trucks and onlookers. There was also a lot of debris on the ground and there I was with no shoes on. Thankfully the fire department got everything under control fast and we were able to re-enter the building about 30 minutes later.
Recalling this incident and feeling the anxiety in my heart as I type these words, I will defintely be buying a smoke detector, fire extinguisher, and a couple of flashlights this summer. Even if I never use them I would rather be safe than sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"everyone reading this blog should go out and buy a smoke detector today!"
I couldn't agree more dear

I'm sorry that you had to go through this.
God bless us all

Expats in Kuwait said...

you are right smoke detector is important.. but what about the guard of the buildings using thick cable used in place of fuse.. good the old buildings are going out